It’s all free and it’s fun, even if you are just a spectator without a furry friend. Located just north of Naples in Lee County, you and your best friend will find the only beach in the area designated for dogs being off leash. You can access Dog Beach (otherwise known as “Lee County Off Leash Dog Area”) from the water in a boat or by driving north on Hickory Boulevard along Bonita Beach, until you have gone over the bridge at New Pass. Look for the parking area on your left immediately to the north of the bridge. If you’ve reached the official entrance to Lovers Key State Park, then you’ve gone a little bit too far.
Dog Beach is in a tidal area so the size of the beach depends on the water level. On your way there, you may want to pick up a tide chart at Master Bait & Tackle Shop on Bonita Beach Road. For future reference these tide charts are good if you are planning some fishing in the bay, also great for knowing when shelling will be best.
The park is open from dawn to dusk with weekends being the most busy time period. Fido will make lots of new friends and you probably will make some lasting friendships, too. There’s a great spirit of camaraderie with all of the dog owners as the hounds romp along the beach and swim in the water. Dog owners are on the honor system to clean up after their pets and control behavior. You’ll want to bring a camera as there are always entertaining photo opportunities.
“Paws” and read the rules for Dog Beach below:
General Rules for Dog Parks
• Park hours dawn to dusk.
• Canine & human visitors enter at their own risk.
• Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries or loss caused by their dogs.
• Dogs must be under voice command, control, and accompanied by humans at all times.
• Owners must clean up after their dogs. Bags and disposal stations are provided.
• Owners must have proof of license and immunization for their dogs.
• Leash your dog whenever outside of the off-leash area.
• Obey all signs and keep dogs in designated areas only.
• Dogs that are aggressive are not allowed in the park.
• Dogs in heat, or puppies under 4 months old, are prohibited.
• Don’t let your dog dig holes; Fill any holes mistakenly dug.
• No food allowed in off-leash area.
• Park patrolled by Animal Services to assure compliance.
• Violators to park rules are subject to removal from the park and possible legal action.
• To report bites and/or violations please call Animal Services at 239-533-7387.
• Emergencies call 911
Lee County Parks and Recreation
Looking for a pet friendly home in Naples or Bonita Beach FL, give us a call at 239-776-5077