Can’t find a canal home or waterfront home on the resale market? Then consider building your own custom design on one of the available vacant properties or buy a “tear down”. Not abundant, but there are opportunities to do just that and get exactly what you want in a waterfront dream home. Here are some things to consider when you think about building your own home on the water with your boat in the backyard:
- Which neighborhood is the place to start. Conners at Vanderbilt Beach is to the north and close to beaches, Mercato, restaurants and hotels, shopping and nightlife. Access to the Gulf of Mexico is quick through Wiggins Pass and has one bridge with ~20′ clearance. The Royal Harbor area is located to the south on Naples Bay and close enough to Fifth Avenue South. Sailors are attracted to this community because there is no bridge access to the Gulf through Gordon Pass. Port Royal and Aqualane Shores are the most exclusive waterfront properties in Naples.
- Property features. What is the exposure of the lot? Do you want southern or southwest exposure on your pool during the winter months? What is the position on the canal? Is the lot at the end of a canal, the beginning near a street or at the intersection of two canals? Is there a grandfathered boathouse? You cannot get a new permit to build a boathouse so, this may be critically important to you. Do you need no bridge access to the Gulf of Mexico?
- What is the condition of the seawall? When we represent buyer clients, we always recommend using a local marine construction inspector to thoroughly examine the seawall during the contract inspection period. This is above and beyond the usual home inspection. Our preferred marine inspector is looking from above, in back of and below the water line to check all aspects of the seawall. We try to time the inspection at low tide to have the most amount of wall exposed and to facilitate the under water part of the inspection.
- Is there an existing dock and boat lift? What is the capacity and condition of those two things? This is important in any case but, might be critical to accepting a boat that you already own. We have reputable contractors with whom we have worked before that can inspect and make recommendations during the inspection period.
- Finding an architect to design your custom home. If you’ve been to Naples, then you know that we have some beautiful homes reflecting a wide range of architectural styles. Selecting an architect to design your home nd working through the processis the fun part. Which architect you choose will depend somewhat on your own preferences for style and trends. We can point you in the right direction.
Click on the links below to check out waterfront properties with boating access to the Gulf of Mexico that are currently available for sale. Call us for more info, why one lot might be more desirable than another and answers to all of our questions.
As full time real estate professionals, we represent both buyers and sellers in Naples. If you are a seller, we market your home to local, national and international buyers for the best results. If you are a buyer, we listen well and will find your own “Piece of Paradise” at the best negotiated price and terms.
Tim Cranch at 239-272-4848 or Ellie Penaranda at 239-776-4848