Are you a serious buyer in the Naples and Bonita Springs real estate market? Have you written unsuccessful contract offers on properties? Did you lose out to competition?
Our real estate market is unique for many reasons and guaranteed it is different from your home state up north. The factors that are driving the current Supply and Demand situation are special to our market. Our real estate rules, regulations, contracts and representation are different from other states.
To be successful in today’s real estate market, there are things that you need to know and understand in order to buy a home or condo. There is no need to overpay – even if you are competing with other offers – but you do need a strategy. That strategy might change from one community to another and from one house to another.
Here are 10 things you need to know and understand as a serious buyer:
- Be ready. Things are going to move quickly and you will face decisions which require fast but smart answers. If you are a cash buyer, then know where you pulling the money from and make arrangements. If you are going to buy with a mortgage, then choose your lender in advance and start the process. Know where you stand financially because in some scenarios there might not be any turning back. Prepare to pull the trigger while limiting risk and minimizing the chance for mistakes.
- Do your homework in advance. Know the neighborhood of choice inside out before you make an offer. Study the neighborhood and know the details of the community to make certain that it’s a good fit with your criteria. Is it compatible with your lifestyle? Does it offer what you want? What is the #1 priority? Location or the house itself?
- Study the market in your particular community. Check the history of closed sales for the past six months. Know why one house sold at a higher price than another similar property in the same neighborhood. Know why one house stayed on the market and another received multiple offers in the first few hours on the market for sale.
- Not all communities are getting multiple offers. There are very good reasons that Naples Park and Conners at Vanderbilt Beach are getting lots of attention. Know why a neighborhood is more desirable or holds its value better than another. You might have interest in a golf community that is 5 miles inland and you have a choice of several homes with room to negotiate. Appreciation and future resale might be different but the community might better suit your lifestyle. Again, do your homework so you have a handle on the real estate situation in your neighborhood of choice – it differs from one area to another, one community to another. No need to pay full price or compete unnecessarily.
- Forget about a verbal offer. Any listing agent or seller in our market is going to immediately reject it or just ignore it completely. It’s real estate…….it’s written on paper. If you are a serious buyer then put it in writing.
- Never give up your right to a home inspection. No matter which contract form is used in a purchase, do not ever give away your right to conduct whatever inspections you want to accomplish. In our market area, you may even want to go beyond the normal home inspection. During the home inspection period according to contract, you may want to have specialists examine the property for the condition of a tile roof or a seawall and dock, as good examples.
- Connect with a title company to hold the closing. Choose a title company that will represent your side of the transaction that has a real estate attorney in the office. They will making sure that there is clean title and no outstanding issues such as open permits from previous work. Although the attorney might not be involved at a deep level during the course of a smooth, uneventful transaction, you want an attorney that is intimately familiar with the contract to go to bat for you if needed. Your title company will securely hold the escrow deposits and typically, in our area, make all of the arrangements for a long distance closing.
- Know your contract options and the consequences. We have more than one written contract available to us as well as additional forms and addendums to tailor an offer to safely and best position ourselves. Do you know what your rights are for a home inspection under our contract? Do you know your rights regarding home inspection with an “As Is” contract? Why would I use an “As Is” contract? Are there circumstances where that is advantageous to me? What about a financing contingency? When and how much are the escrow deposits? Are my deposits at risk? Does a property need to appraise if my offer is cash? These are just a few of the questions that need to be addressed in advance of writing a contract offer.
- Strategy for a successful written contract to purchase. This is critical and totally dependent on the strength and experience of your real estate agent. Each situation is different and choosing which contract to use and which forms to attach is important – important to you and important to the seller. Writing the contract to best position yourself and suit the needs of the seller requires knowledge…….knowledge that can only be attained by a conversation with the listing real estate agent. If your Realtor doesn’t know the right questions to ask then you might not stand a chance before you even begin. It’s not nearly enough to only ask, “Are there other offers on the table?” There are many terms in a contract aside from sales price that are critically important. Armed with knowledge about the seller’s situation, you have the opportunity to craft the agreement such that it appeals to the seller on several levels. This gives you the best chance for success. Even better, it gives you the best chance without overpaying if you are competing.
- Choose your Realtor wisely. This market is not for the feint of heart and you need good, timely advice to navigate a successful purchase. Align yourself with a Realtor who has longterm local knowledge, experience in this type of market and has your best interests in mind at all times. We are skilled negotiators. We are at your service. Call us at the numbers below.
Serious buyer? We listen well and will find your own “Piece of Paradise” at the best negotiated price and terms. We are full-time professional Realtors who depend on your referrals and take pride in our work. We have lived and worked through all real estate cycles. Take advantage of our skill and strategy to make you a successful buyer in a challenging market.
Serious seller? We will give you honest advice about current market conditions and pricing. We will aggressively market your home to local, national and international buyers for the best results and a smooth transaction. Our experience in handling multiple offers will result in the best terms for your own situation.